Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Requiem by Lauren Oliver (Book 3 - Delirium Trilogy)
HarperCollins
Paperback
Released 2013
ISBN - 978-1-444-72300-7
"I've started dreaming of Portland again."

Synopsis

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight. After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels. As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

My Thoughts

I am disappointed. That is the only way to describe how I feel after closing the end of this book. 

I knew from the beginning that something felt off. I don't like dual perspective books from two characters, and realising that this book had that put me off. I thought this was what would ruin it for me, but it turned out to be it's saving grace and the main reason that it scraped two stars. 

Another reason, linked to the first, was Hana's story. I don't want to spoiler anything in this review, so I will simply say that it is the most intriguing, interesting thread in the whole book. I found myself looking forward to Hana's chapters, whilst skimming Lena's. Not really good when the trilogy is about Lena, but I can honestly say that I might not have made it to the end without Hana. 

In my Pandemonium review I mentioned that a love triangle seemed to be forming. I was right, and this annoyed me. The triangle was pointless, it didn't fit the story or move it forward at all. So why? 

Another relationship that irritated me was between Lena and her mother. It was underdeveloped and really left me longing for a bit more. Simply, "We talked, and talked" doesn't cover how they suddenly got over their past and rebuilt their relationship. Where are the details? I needed details.

But most disappointing... The ending. 

The final few chapters felt really rushed, like Lauren Oliver had something better to do than finish this properly. 
The series ended with too many loose threads and that doesn't sit well with me. 

(Sorry if these are spoilers...)

Hana's story didn't end. The love triangle didn't end. The fight didn't end. Nothing ended. 

This whole series was ruined for me by a lack of conclusion. The final battle was too simple, and too easily done. There was no big reveal, nothing. 

This series ended on a loose threaded whimper. Not something that I would expect from an author that I adore, or a trilogy that is so well written during the first two books. 

I would suggest that, if you haven't read the series, you stop after book two. Save yourself and use your imagination. I wish I had. 

Do you agree? Or did you enjoy the end of the series? Comment below


Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.